Skip to main content

First Time Accessing UCPath

Accessing UCPath for the first time as an Employee, Manager, Academic, or Student/Graduate Student? This page provides important information on how to get started in UCPath.

Once you log in to UCPath using SSO credentials and confirm via Duo, you will be redirected to the UCPath portal. Here's what you will need to do.

  1. Update your personal profile
  2. Set up five security questions
  3. Verify your personal information
  4. Enter a personal email address.
  5. Sign up for Direct Deposit

UCPath for Employees

UCPath Online gives employees 24/7 access to HR and Payroll information from their desktop, laptop, tablet, or mobile phone. Employees will be able to view their personal information, earnings statements, benefits, vacation and sick leave balances, as well as sign up for direct deposit, update tax withholdings, enroll in benefits, and more.

System-Wide Resources

UCPath for Managers

UCPath Online for Managers provides access to managers' personal information and also direct reports' key information, including home address, emergency contacts, absence balances, and compensation history.

System-Wide Resources

UCPath for Academics

Access and Manage Your Information

  • Review your paycheck; alert your department immediately if it is not correct.
  • Review and update beneficiaries.
  • Review and update personal data including these and related fields:           
    • Lived Name
    • Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation
    • Ethnic Group
    • Emergency Contacts
    • Patent Acknowledgement
  • View your Leave Balances (if you are in an eligible title to accrue)
    • Vacation
    • Sick Leave
    • Sabbatical credits (excluding Health Sciences)
  • Access your W-2 and review/change tax withholdings (W-4)
  • Request Verification of Employment

Timeliness & Other Considerations

  • Submit requests for summer salary, leaves of absence, and other transactions well in advance of the applicable pay period to avoid overpayments, etc.
  • Retroactive pay will generally be issued on your next normal pay cycle. Off-cycle paychecks are limited to exceptional circumstances.
  • Overpayments are unfortunate but do occur. Compensation that was issued but not earned must be repaid. Unresolved overpayments will be sent to collections.

Academic Personnel Resources

  • For academic year (AY) appointees, pay is issued based on pay period dates which do not align with service dates Review the Pay vs. Service Period chart to understand pay impacts.
  • Leaves of Absence may impact pay and benefits. Coordinate your leave plans in advance with your department staff to obtain approvals and ensure timely entry in UCPath.
  • Summer Salary
    • Eligible AY appointees may receive up to 3/9ths additional summer compensation. 7/1 – 9/30 is the standard pay period. Coordinate your summer teaching and research plans in advance with your department staff to ensure correct and timely pay.
    • Eligible summer salary is subject to a 7% 403(b) pretax contribution
  • Visit the Academic Personnel Services website for more information on academic compensation, leaves, policy and other faculty resources.

UCPath for Undergraduate and Graduate Student Employees

Undergradute and Graduate Student Employees need a Student Employee AD Account to access UCPath and Ecotime. Go to Setting Up Student Employee Active Directory (AD) Account for details on how to get a Student Employee AD Account before accessing UCPath.

DCP FICA Deduction Guidance

UC San Diego and other UC locations have been working with the UCPath Center to correct DCP/FICA deductions for student employees who were enrolled full-time for the fall quarter. The deduction has been corrected for future pay periods. The UCPath Center has completed the refunds with a pay date of Monday, January 22, 2024. The UCPath Center is preparing Targeted Mass Emails to be sent to individuals scheduled to receive refunds. Review the How to Troubleshoot Student FICA/DCP Deductions Knowledge Base Article in the Employee Center here.

Getting Started

I've just been hired. Can I start working now?

If you’ve done your onboarding appointment to complete new-hire paperwork and are cleared by your supervisor to begin, you may start work. However, if there’s a short time between your onboarding appointment and your start date, your job record and employee ID may not be setup in UCPath yet, so there may be delays in your access to the UCPath Online Portal and online timekeeping systems.

Which Active Directory (AD) account should I use to access UCPath?

Certain applications, like UCPath and Ecotime, require employees to log in with an AD account associated with their UCPath Empl ID.

For student employees, your regular student account or manually created departmental AD account will not give you access to these systems - you must use a Student Employee AD Account. Without a Student Employee AD Account, you will not be able to access UCPath and Ecotime to perform critical tasks, such as reporting hours worked, viewing earnings statements, and setting up direct deposit. 

Go to Setting Up Student Employee Active Directory (AD) Account for details.

How do I update my personal information in UCPath (e.g. Name)?

Follow the instructions below or view the How to Update Personal Information Information in UCPath Knowledge Base Article (KBA).
  1. Login to UCPath
  2. In the left sidebar, select Employee Actions > Personal Information > Personal Information Summary
  3. Expand the section you would like to update.
  4. Update your information.
  5. You should receive a communication from UCPC (UCPath Center) notifying you that a change was made. This notification may go to your personal e-mail address, business email, or both if listed.

As of June 2023, you are now able to update your self-chosen name in the UCPath system. Watch the video below to see how to change your name in UCPath.

Which home address should I list in UCPath?

If you decided to receive a paper paycheck, make sure in UCPath your home address is the address where you would like the check to be mailed.

For Students: If you live on campus make sure to follow the official UC San Diego home address format for students when updating your address.

9450 Gilman Dr.
La Jolla, CA 92092-0100 

For more information about receiving mail visit Triton Link - Student Mail Services.

How do I request Employment Verification from UCPath?

Refer to the How to Verify Employment for Current and Former UC San Diego Employees Knowledge Base Article for step-by-step instructions on how to request employment verification.

Payroll and Timekeeping

How do I get paid?

There are three different options to receive pay:

  • Direct Deposit
    • We recommend all employees sign up for Direct Deposit to avoid any pay delays.
  • UC Pay Card
    • The new UC Pay Card is a debit card that you can get without establishing a bank account, it does require a Social Security number. 
    • More information can be found here.
  • Paper Paycheck

How do I enroll in Direct Deposit?

  1. Login to UCPath online
  2. Select Direct Deposit under 'Income and Taxes'
  3. Add, update, or delete direct deposit information.
  4. To add direct deposit information: enter the bank routing number, the account type, the account number, and the direct deposit amount or percentage.
Review the How to Enroll In or Update Direct Deposit in UCPath Knowledge Base Article for more information.

I've been paid, but something's not right. Who should I talk to?

First, you should contact your Department Timekeeper or HR Contact to ensure your hours were reported correctly and on time.
  • Students employed in graduate academic titles should contact their hiring department's HR contact or the coordinator in the Academic Home Department, if different than the hiring department.
  • Once you verify time was reported, you should go to the UCPath online and submit a ticket via the "Ask UCPath" button.
  • Be as descriptive as possible in the ticket request, indicating that the issue is incorrect pay.

I missed a timesheet deadline. What should I do next?

First, if you have not yet submitted the missed hours, you should submit your timesheet.
  • If you have submitted the hours, but they were not submitted in time to meet the deadline, contact your department timekeeper for assistance.
  • Timekeepers should submit a case to the Employee Center. For “Missed Pay” submit a case with an Expedited Missed Pay Description to ensure expedited action is taken.

If I have multiple jobs with UC, how will my earnings display on my paycheck?​

If you have more than one job with the same Job Title and Pay Rate, earnings from both jobs will display all on one line. If, however, your jobs have different Job Titles and Pay Rates, you will see a separate line for each Job.

More information on Graduate Academic Job Codes can be found on the Graduate Division Salary & Fee Remission web page.

Are need-based awards, merit-based awards, scholarships or student stipends paid via UCPath?

No. UCPath is only used for employment-based earnings. If hired, undergraduates and graduate students are entered into the UCPath system by the hiring department. All employees then use the applicable timekeeping system to report time worked. Wages are issued via a UCPath paycheck and employees receive these funds via direct deposit, UC Pay Card, or a mailed check.

More information on Graduate Student Financial Support, including employment and non-employment support, can be found on the Graduate Division Salary & Fee Remission web page.

Former Employees

Will a former employee (separated/retiree) still have access to UCPath?

All employees should have a personal email set up in UCPath. When you retire or terminate, UCPath uses your personal e-mail address for correspondence.

If the separation/termination/retirement took place BEFORE June 1, 2020

  • The employee/retiree does not have access to UCPath.
  • Employees can access their W-2s and other tax forms via AYSO.
  • For retirees, benefits including pension benefits continue to be administered through the Retirement Administration Service Center (RASC).

If the separation/termination/retirement took place AFTER June 1, 2020

  • The employee/retiree will have continued access via the UCPath Former Employee portal. Employees should ensure that a personal email address is included in their personal information on UCPath Online before they separate or retire. If they do, they will receive an email from the UCPath Center prompting them to register.
  • They will then access the Former Employee Portal by entering a personal email and the last 4 digits of their Social Security Number. If an employee does not have a personal email address entered into UCPath, they must contact UCPath Employee Services directly for assistance in registering for the Former Employee Portal.

If the employee does not set up an account within 18 months of separation/retirement the employee will have to contact UCPath at 855-982-7284 for assistance.

  • Former employees will have access for 36 months after the effective date of termination
  • For more information visit UCPath Online for Former Employees on the UCnet website

Which portal should I use? AYSO, UCRAYS, UCNet?

Action Portal
View and print past earnings statements AYSO
View and print past W-2's AYSO
View pension distribution information (1099-R) UCRAYS
View or change retirement savings account information (Fidelity) UCNet
View and update pension beneficiary information UCRAYS
Access the Retirement Estimator UCRAYS
View past benefits information UCNet
View information about UC Retirement

Who should I contact if I have questions about AYSO?

Users should submit an inquiry in the Employee Center for login issues, missing statements, or questions regarding earnings or tax statements. Contact details can be found by clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the new AYSO Main Menu.

For Campus employees: If you have any questions or need additional assistance, please submit a request via the General Inquiry Form in the Employee Center

For Health employees: If you have any questions or need additional assistance, please submit a request to your respective Health Services & Support portals.